Proterra Inc. has announced plans to open a new electric vehicle (EV) battery system manufacturing plant in South Carolina to produce the company’s industry-leading battery systems for Proterra Powered customers’ commercial electric vehicles, including delivery and work trucks, industrial equipment, buses, and more. Proterra’s new South Carolina factory represents the company’s third battery production facility nationwide. In December 2020, the company opened its second battery production site co-located in its EV bus manufacturing facility in Los Angeles County. Proterra’s new battery system manufacturing facility will be located at the 42.76-acre Carolina Commerce Center in Greer, South Carolina near Proterra’s electric bus manufacturing facility in Greenville.
Designed and manufactured in the United States, Proterra’s battery systems have been proven through more than 20 million service miles driven by its transit customers and selected by world-class commercial vehicle manufacturers to electrify delivery vehicles, work trucks, construction and mining equipment, school buses, coach buses, and more.
Here are some of the takeaways from Proterra’s news release:
- Proterra expands manufacturing to support growing demand for its market-leading high-energy-density, long-life electric vehicle battery systems
- A new factory in Greer, South Carolina will manufacture battery systems for Proterra Powered customers’ electric vehicles, including delivery and work trucks, industrial equipment, buses, and more
- The factory is planned to begin production in the second half of 2022 with multiple gigawatt-hours of annual battery system production capacity
- Proterra commits to a minimum investment of at least $76M and expects to create more than 200 new jobs to produce industry-leading commercial vehicle battery systems and EV technology in its 327,000 square foot facility
- South Carolina factory represents Proterra’s first battery manufacturing facility in the Eastern United States and its third nationwide
- The factory will leverage Proterra’s innovative and modular battery system manufacturing platform to enable capital efficient and scalable production output
“Electric vehicle technology is an opportunity to create clean energy jobs, strengthen American manufacturing, and advance the U.S.’s climate leadership on a global scale,” said Gareth Joyce, President of Proterra. “Through opening our new battery system production plant, Proterra is proud to help realize these important goals while driving the transition to clean, quiet transportation with our EV technology.”
By 2025, the factory is expected to support additional battery system production capacity, as well as the production of ancillary systems incorporated into electric medium- and heavy-duty electric vehicles and equipment.
Kevin Clemens is a Senior Editor with Battery Technology.